Saturday, February 22, 2014

Breakthroughs are possible...

Hey guys. I just wanted to take some time to talk about what I've been up to for the last week.
Remember how I posted about how I felt like I was failing but I had a feeling I was near a breakthrough? I've been doing a lot of talking to professionals and the thing I always hear about it is that new artists aren't taking enough risks or even doing the things they say they are going to do. What that means is they aren't doing enough, and they aren't failing at it enough.
You have to fail in order to succeed. Period. It's a fact of the industry. Get used to acting on your ideas and if they don't work out, it's OK- You wont die, or lose anything that precious. It just puts you one step closer to being successful.
Alright, so here has been what's up with me. I've had a lot of one on ones with people who get story. It's been a learning experience for me, that's for sure. I know for this class we were supposed to focus on our strengths, which I thought I was. But it seems that I'm not as good as I thought, which is OK. I'm not stressing about it too much. The thing is, my ideas have appeal I'm just not good at executing them yet. So that is what I'm good at, creating things with appeal.
As I was saying my story got a complete overhaul. Which is awesome! I focused on what it was I ultimately wanted to say.
I wanted to tell a story about my adventure so far.
So hearing that I wasn't pulling from real life was kinda pissing me off. Because I was using my situation- I easily learned to channel critique better, and really sort out quality vs people just saying stuff to make it seem like they are participating.
I liked the idea of separating the character from myself because I guess I was just married to the idea of the guys struggle. But after finding out who the real protagonist was in my story, I was really able to grow and explore what the story really was. My story involves a guy who has a manifestation of his creativity. It involves a growth of character and a decision of what's it really worth?

I am currently drawing out my animatic redux. It's kinda sad that I had to start from the beginning but you know what? The story is so much more impactful and more interesting now. So I wont be animating some crap story to get through the class. It's something I'm actually proud of so far. I'm working on solidifying shots and making it visually interesting. I'm about halfway through the animatic at this point. I've been shown a lot of stuff to help make shots more meaningful, and ways to help get points across. I remember when I started school I was hoping to at least be good at storyboarding enough to get a decent job doing it. I don't think it's going to pan out like that though, since I'm more of a "worker."

What is on my horizon? Finishing this animatic asap. I want to work on getting a style down and colors so I can actually start doing backgrounds. Once I get backgrounds I can do some rough animation and get things timed out properly. SO much stuff... Taking baby steps and not trying to rush anything so I can make this as awesome as possible. This is basically my start into what I really want to do, which is make cool short stories. I'm hoping, that after I graduate, to run my own website with my own content updated frequently. I heard about how some of the internet famous animators take 7 months to a year to complete 2:30 worth of animation. I feel like if I really work at it, I can be a lot faster and hopefully as cool, if not cooler, than them.

Peer review and just "talking" about my project has been working for it so well! I love sharing my idea because it gets more and more awesome as it goes on. It's growing into something. I'm just stoked to see how solid my idea was and now I've got a good story to match it. Just share and share with people you trust and your idea can blossom.

I'm not too good with creating shots, so getting a lot of feedback on my shots has been a big focus of mine, since it's not a strong point.

Alright guys! I'm off, got lots of stuff to do.

No comments:

Post a Comment