Sunday, October 16, 2016

Stranger Things x Super Metroid

Hey there! It's Zach, again!
I'm going to talk a bit about my latest piece, Super Stranger Things.
I was browsing t-shirt designs on RedBubble, Teefury, Yetee, and Ript as per my norm, when I felt an idea come on. This idea is a conglomeration of ideas hitting around in my head over a long period of time. A friend of mine was going to enter into this Stranger Things art show that's happening here soon. I felt like I should enter too. So I started kicking around ideas. Like a character sheet for Will and his Wizard, Will the Wise. But I wasn't really feeling it. Drawing other things as well, just nothing really coming up as "the one," ya know?
Well this idea hit, and I felt like it was something cool that no one has crossed over yet. Eleven could be Samus and she could be fighting the Demogorgon like Samus fights Ridley from Metroid. Boom, the idea bridge broke loose and I was sketching all kinds of rad shit.

I went with this idea of the Super Metroid box art. I thought it was perfect. So I figured I would attempt to make it out.

Several weeks pass by and all I had was this sketch. I just kept looking at it like, "when are you going to tackle it and do it?"
I guess I was battling myself because I didn't want to attempt to make it and feel like a failure. I kept looking at successful artists with their designs and just felt like I couldn't really be up to their level. So I guess it was a lot of me mentally beating myself up and not creating it for the sake of doing it.

I finally said fuck it, I have some free time and I should just give it a go.
I got into Photoshop and got my rough drawing down pretty quickly. It was just hard t get everything in it's place.
I liked the rough though. It was really coming together and it felt legit.
Eleven totally can be the hero like Samus, I mean she was in the show, but you know? My drawing is conveying that as well.

I worked on this for a while at the tea shop and started to hit my stride when they were closing. It was rough getting home and getting back into the groove to finish it but I am glad I did. It was a blast to kick back with a beer and just bang it out.
So here it is with a dark background. I decided to stick with flat colors because I haven't quite mastered that technique of using the black spotted shading. I think I could use a few of the brushes I have to test it out to give it a texture.
But I like it flat like this, it's like a comic book cover mixed with the Super Metroid box.

It's available on RedBubble.
I think overall it's pretty cool.

No comments:

Post a Comment