Friday, November 2, 2012

Halloween! And other stuff.








So here's an update on my life so far as far as art goes.
I decided, with my bud Jon, that we'd be TF2 (Team Fortress 2) characters. Since I had some stuff already I decided to go Pyro and Jon went Spy.
Well, we entered our school contest and won best overall costume on campus. Which was cool because there were over 20 entries.
There's the progress of the grenades. They wouldn't adhere very well to my costume but the picture we took for the school had me wearing them.
Oh, and my poetry portfolio went over really well. I did a reading of a few in front of the class.
My instructor, who is the local laureate, said I had some good range as far as tone and form went.
That was cool to hear, so now we're onto short stories and character building through writing and what not. I find this to be a bit more difficult than I originally thought.
3D is coming along nicely. I'm going to start modeling some N64 stuff for practice because that's what Maya polygons remind me of. I did a sea creature, which could be better, using only duplicate special and grouping on the limited geometry in NURBS. I created a 1913 Pioneer using only extrude, loft and rotate. Then created a partial to a tank using the same method. Now we're using polygons and learning about faces and vertex manipulations. You can speed build stuff no problem.
In Pre-Production we're just fucking around. We got our stories to do but our teacher isn't really letting us finish it because of all the other stuff he's assigning us. He gives us these pop quiz take home exercises and it takes a lot of time and effort to complete. We should have our boards scanned into After Effects already, with sound but he's making this complicated with more work.
In my intro class to Illustration, I feel like I'm doing okay. At first I felt like I might not be cut out for it but my instructor has boosted my confidence with critiques that were a bit shocking to hear, from him especially. So that's cool to hear. I'll post up the few assignments I've done for him soon.
My animation timing class is awesome. We're learning some lip syncs right now. Our instructor is making us animate to Bruce Cambell quotes!! It's hilarious.

Here's some of my creative writing.
This was something short:
The 17?
Life was hard. Growing up after the bomb... No one really there. Weeks of searching only turned up 16 other survivors. Their ages ranged from 6 to 17. Scavanging for food. Learning to kill, to hunt. Killing to survive. Only we know these hard times, it seems. Survival isn't easy. Just march forward. Try to forget. Feels like yesterday...
A young man, rushing around bumps into a worn man. The young man speaks excitedly.
Oh my god! You're one of the legends, huh!? You're one of the legendary 17! I've heard all about your exploits from 40 years ago. You should write a book man! That information is invaluable. How was it growing up in the wastes? I bet it was easy for you- You're a legend. I heard you killed the local bandits like nothing. Slaughtering the leader just for kicks. What was it like? Are the other 16 here?




1 Page Story:
     Through the clouds the sun kisses the cold plains. A worn castle stands tall, proud. Little smoke stacks wisp to the sky, the huts scattered on the outside of the castle. A troop of soldiers rally as a large bearded warrior yells in a booming voice, "IT'S A GOOD DAY TO DIE!"
Cheers followed, roaring, and clanging metal. This bearded warrior, the best of the best. Long time survivor and second to only the king. His face covered in long scraggly hair. An x shaped scar covers his cheek. He smiles as he raises his battle ax. An engraved gold blade with a long carved iron wood handle. The grips in his ax are carved in for a better hold. It has seen many skulls and limbs. The soldiers train and train, for one last glorious battle to rule the land. One last resistance to wipe out. They set out, one last march. Chants of the battle march ring on as the earth shakes with their step.
     The resistance, large in capacity, forced in a corner so to speak, driven to one last ditch effort to escape the king. Every little thing rides on this one battle. The troops amass with a sliver of green between them and the kings army. Taunting each other, the clouds cover the sky. As the last bit of sunlight gets swallowed by the clouds the battle begins. Vicious blows and murder lash out. A light snow begins to fall. The kings hero slowly makes his way to the rebel leader. The rebel leader, a tall slender man, with long flowing black hair, wields a longsword with elegance and grace. He dispatches the kings men withe ease.
     A hearty boom from the kings hero alerts the rebel leader. A war cry, seemingly boosting his attack, while startling the rebel troops allows him to get in close and engage the rebel leader. The rebel leader, clearly unaffected by the battle cry, swiftly dodges his overhead blow, sliding to safety. the kings hero swings with a savage blood lust, a flurry of blows being masterfully dodged by the rebel leader. The rebel leader returns with an attack that seems to stop time. The warriors shocked at what they see. the blow cuts the kings hero in half from the head down. When the rebel leaders sword strikes the ground a blue shock wave emanated across the field. Flowing through each and every body and soul fighting. What is to become of the land now? The rebel leader looks to the sky as a barrage of snow and wind sweep over the battlefield.

Developing on the 17 idea:
     A light. Blaring through the darkness of my eyelids. As I come to my senses I feel the heat of the sun. Heat. It's all it gives me. Aside from constant thirst. My eyes strain to adjust. Must've been a good nights rest. I roll my sleeves up. Not even a breeze, heh, it's going to be like this forever it seems. My body reminds me of yesterday. My arms are sore from digging trenches.
     "MAP!" I yell. Shuffling and clamoring as the group realizes I'm awake. Twelve of us. It's all I could find. And rescue...
     "Why do we keep this up?" A voice yelled from the small crowd.
     "Yeah! We're workin' ourselves to death!"
     "I'm tired!"
     "We don't even know where the river is!"
     "How's this going to work?!"
     "You're killing me!"
      The group, obviously doubting me. This makes me sick. I've busted my ass saving all of you and now you doubt me. I sigh and unfold the map. The map is dated. Really dated, it's clearly been forever since the day of the Red Sky and even longer since this map has been made. I just have to trust my gut instinct. I know I can get a steady supply of crops going, but we have to connect our tench to the river. A river that we don't even know exists. I open my chapped lips to speak,
     "I know you guys are hurting." I wipe sweat from my face. " I am too. But we have to keep going. Have I ever lead you wrong before?"
     "We're sick of this shit! We've been digging for months and I'm running ragged. It's getting harder to hunt out here, we're losing it man!"
     "YEAH!" The group cries out in agreement.
     I look up to the sky. A cool breeze kisses my neck. A sign? A good sign.







No comments:

Post a Comment